Monday, October 11, 2010

Maximizing Earnings Per HIT


As I’ve said many times before working for Amazon Mechanical Turk (Mturk) is not an easiest way to make money online. In fact, it’s slow and tedious. And if you’ve read any of my past posts, you read between the line (or maybe I’m more obvious than I think), but I’m not a big fan of the low-paying/high volume strategy.

I was reading some posts on the Turker Nation forum where some Mturk providers discussed their average reward per HIT. Here’s some excepts from the forum:

“My income per HIT: $0.270.”

“$4595.53 / 40550 = 0.113”

“183.16/796 HITS = .23 per HIT”

“$3,604.75 / 243,920 = 0.014”

On another post, I read of a poster who advocated a low-paying/high volume strategy. This poster like doing a horde of low-cost/low-thought HITs. Here’s an except from his post:
“All told, in the span of almost a year, I've done about 25k hits and made about $530. I try when possible to do the 3, 5, 10 cent hits (to me, those are "big money"), but the one centers are my bread and butter -- literally!”

My operating philosophy for Mturk is diametrically opposite to this poster. I take almost exclusively writing HITs and I like maximizing my earnings. To illustrate my point here are my numbers from the past 30 days:
Past 30 days -- 216 HITs = $348 -- Average per HIT: $1.61

Now, I certainly can’t quantify my time spent compared to this poster’s time spent, but I can point out that I made nearly 2/3’s of what this poster made in one year in only one month of work. I have averaged around two hours a day working on Mturk and made over $10/day. I don’t know who has the more tedious job, but I can say that I learn something from my work on Mturk -- along with making money.

No comments:

Post a Comment