Monday, September 27, 2010

Who Works for Mturk and Why - Part III


Workers trying to make money online with Amazon’s Mechanical Turk (Mturk) are not few in numbers. I’ve always been curious as to why someone would choose to work for Mturk and who they are. Fortunately for me, there is someone out there doing research on these very issues. I hope to take the insights of these hard-working and generous researchers and share them with you. By the way, I will spend most of time focusing on statistics of U.S. workers for the purpose of this article.

In two past articles, I talked about who the workers for Murk and why they do this tedious and low paying work. The first article covered where workers lived and in the second article I discussed some demographic information including age and educational ranges and income levels of worker. In this article, I want to share with some of the findings in terms of the marital status of Mturk workers and how much time they spend taking HITs.

Marital Status of Mturk Workers
The vast, vast, vast majority of Mturk workers are single. That category hits 35%. But around 13% of workers do report being married and a similar amount reported being married with children. Also, the majority of these married workers reported having two kids. My take is that married folks with kids are feeling the pinch of the economy and are looking at places to earn a few extra pennies around a busy life and work schedule.

Time Spent on Mturk
As far as time spent working for Mturk, the biggest response was 4-8 hours spent a week working for Mturk with a response rate of around 25%. 2-4 hours was the second most reported response at 21% and 8-20 hours not far behind at 19%.

I thought I should report my details in these areas. I would be in the married response area and also would have to select the response of 2-3 children. As for time spent, my time does vary. Lately, I’ve found HITs I can tolerate and can make tolerable earnings with. So, I would say that I spend about 10-12 hours a week working on Mturk. Now, if you asked me two months ago, I would have to had reported 2-3 hours a week at best. I’ve found a groove and am mining it for all I can get. At least, for now.

I will wrap up this series next time with an article on the motivations why people work for Mturk. Hope to see you back.

No comments:

Post a Comment